The Challenge the Book of Mormon
Makes to the World
The following 30 conditions must be complied with in order
to produce a similar record under such comparable conditions:
- Write a history of an ancient people covering a period from 2200 BC to 400 AD.
- Include the history of two distinct and separate nations along with histories of different contemporary nations or groups of people.
- Describe their religious, economic, social, and political cultures and institutions.
- Weave into the history the religion of Jesus Christ and the pattern of Christian living.
- You are 23 years of age.
- You have no more than 3 years of formal school education.
- Start now and produce this record, covering a period of 2600 years of history, in 60 days.
- Write not a short, but a long history, even 520 pages — over 15,000 words.
- You must never make any absurd, impossible, or contradictory statement.
- When you finish in 60 days, you must make no changes in the text; the first edition must stand forever.
- You must give out that your "Smooth Narrative" is not fiction, but true, sacred history.
- You must invite the most able scholars and experts to examine the text with care, and strive diligently to see that your book gets to the competent to expose every flaw in it.
- You must write the history on the basis of what you know now.
- You must publish it to every nation, kindred, tongue, and people, declaring it to be the word of God.
- You must include within the record itself this marvelous, unique, "dangerous" promise: "And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you to ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; And if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, He will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost."
- It is to fulfill Bible prophecies, even in the exact manner in which it shall come forth, to whom given, purpose, accomplishments.
- Your description of the cultures in these civilizations is not known when you bring forth the record.
- Many of the facts, ideas, and statements given as true in your record must be entirely inconsistent, even to the direct opposite, of the prevailing beliefs of the world. Very, very little is even claimed to be known about this civilization and it's 2600 years of history.
- Thorough investigation, scientific evidence, and archaeological discoveries for the next 175 years must verify it's claims and prove even to the minutest to be perfectly true.
- After 175 years of extensive analysis, no claim or fact in the book is disproven, but all are vindicated. All theories and ideas as to it's origin, rise and then fall, leaving your own claim as the only possible one.
- There can be no flaw whatsoever in the entire book.
- Internal and external evidences and prophecies must be confirmed and fulfilled in the next 175 years.
- Four honest, accreditable witnesses must testify to the whole world that an angel from heaven appeared to them and showed them the record.
- Those four men handled and hefted the records and felt the ancient engravings thereon.
- You must call out of heaven the voice of the Redeemer to declare to these four men that the record is true and that it is their responsibility to bear that testimony. And they do it.
- Eight others must testify to the world that in broad daylight they saw and handled the ancient records and felt the engravings thereon.
- The first four and the last eight witnesses must bear their testimony, not for profit or gain, but under great personal sacrifice and under severe persecution, even to their death beds.
- Thousands of great men, intellectual giants and scholars, must subscribe discipleship to this record and it's movement even to the point of laying down their own lives.
- Tens and hundreds of thousands must bear record that it be true because they put the promise to the test and found it to be true. The truth of it was manifest to them by the power of the Holy Ghost.
- After suffering persecution and revilement for the next 20 years, you must then willingly give your own life for your testimony that the record is from God.
PROBLEM: The Book of Mormon complies completely and entirely with every condition stated above. It was published to the world in the year 1830 as a translation by the Prophet Joseph Smith of an ancient record of an ancient America, 2200 BC to 400 AD. Will anyone accept this challenge? Would one dare? It would be absurd and sheer folly for anyone to even try to comply with 2 or 3 conditions, let alone the thirty here and the hundreds that could easily be given. There is only one answer: The Book of Mormon is of God.
If not, state it's origin and explain it's claim. Where did it come from? It isn't enough to merely discard it as false.
Promise of the Book of Mormon
- Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down to the time that ye shall receive things, and ponder it in your hearts.
- And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask of God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, He will manifest the truth of it unto you by the power of the Holy Ghost.
- And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.